Thank you for your interest in applying to one of the United States Service Academies. Being nominated is a significant honor and the application process is rigorous. It is important to continue to strengthen our proud military history by providing each United States Service Academy with the most qualified and meritorious candidates.
Our nation's service academies offer four-year college educations to qualified students. Graduates of the U.S. Military Academy, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Air Force Academy, the Merchant Marine Academy, and the Coast Guard Academy receive commissions in the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Merchant Marine, or Coast Guard, and are obligated to serve for at least five years after graduation. You do not need a Congressional nomination to attend the Coast Guard Academy.
I encourage all students who are interested in applying and willing to put forth significant time and effort to do so.
If you are interested in pursuing this proud tradition, begin the nomination process by creating your online application account. You will be able to adjust and add to your application as needed through this account. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending a U.S. Service Academy and serving our country.
Eligibility for Nomination from U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich:
- U.S. citizen;
- New Mexico resident;
- At least 17 years of age and not yet 23 years old on July 1 of the year the applicant would enter an academy (25 years old for U.S. Merchant Marine Academy);
- Unmarried; and
- Not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
- Online application with personal essay
- Official SAT/ACT scores
- Official high school transcript (in a signed and sealed envelope)
- Three letters of recommendation from non-relatives
- Service Academy Nomination Review Board interview
Individuals seeking appointment to a service academy must also separately apply to each service academy to which he or she seeks to be appointed. Each academy requires the submission of a preliminary application to initiate the admissions process. Preliminary application materials are available from the academies' websites.
Important Application Dates
- Application process opens on April 4, 2018
- Application closes on October 12, 2018
- Interview Day in Albuquerque is on November 17, 2018
All candidates who submit a completed application packet by the October 12 deadline will be invited for an in person interview.
Military Service Academy Information Nights Are As Follows:
Albuquerque - Wednesday, August 29, 2018
WHAT: Service Academy Information Session
WHEN: From 6 to 8 p.m.
WHERE: University of New Mexico, Student Union Building--Ballroom A, Albuquerque, N.M. 87131
QUESTIONS? Call Senator Heinrich's Albuquerque Office at (505) 346-6601
Receive Information About: